Mediterranean Varietals Grown & Produced Italian Style in the King Valley, Victoria
Hello wine lovers! Today, we are having a look at the Chrismont Winery. Established in 1980, Chrismont produces cool-climate wines from Victoria’s beautiful King Valley. Chrismont Wines’ large range of varietals are grown and produced to celebrate their Italian heritage and traditions. Being Italian, it is no surprise that Chrismont knows exactly how to pair their wines with mouth-watering Italian larders.
We have two ranges of wines from Chrismont here with us today, but first, a visit to the King Valley awaits and some tips on wine and food pairing.
The Wholesome King Valley – Australia’s Italian Wine
The King Valley has long summer days and cool nights which allow these unique Mediterranean varietals to thrive(*1). Hugging the King River along the floor of the Victorian Alps is an untouched wonderland of farms, vineyards and charming towns(*2). The area is reminiscent of Tuscany and Piedmont in Italy which drew the attention of newly arrived Italian families in the post-WWII era. With them came rich culture, wholesome food and a flare for wine growing and production(*2).
Vineyards located along the valley floors are blessed with a range of micro-climates with good warmth. Meanwhile, just up the valley hills to an altitude of 860m, a cooler climate offers yet another mecca for cool growing wine varieties(*3).
Wine and Food Pairing
Chrismont Wines – ‘Cellar Door with BEST Food in the King Valley’ (Gourmet Traveller)
You will often see recommended dishes or food categories that go well with certain wines. Chrismont Wines not only know how to produce mouth-watering wines, but they also offer visitors award-winning dining – Italian style(*4).
“Buon cibo. Buon vino. Buon amici.” (“Good food. Good wine. Good friends.”)
So, what are some basic guidelines when choosing a wine to pair with your menu?
Three Tips on Food and Wine Pairing
Keep an eye out for more food and wine pairing tips in future blogs. These three will get you started.
1 > The wine should be sweeter (or as sweet) as the food it is served with(*5).
2 > Cooking a rich and spicy meal? Pair with an equally rich and spicy wine(*5,6). When you are pairing, you want the wine to be able to hold its own while also complementing the dish.
3 > Acidic meals (those with citrus, tomatoes or vinegar) call for a more acidic wine such as Grenache or Pinot Noir(*5,7).
Chrismont Wines 2022 ‘Chrismont’ Riesling
The Chrismont range captures the King Valley terroir with classic European-style wines with contemporary freshness(*8).
• Aroma: Florals and limes(*1,9).
• Palate: Bright acidity with a crispness evocative of the classic European style of Riesling(*1,9).
• Finish: Florals with a zesty background continue through the finish which has great length(*1,9).
• Food Pairing Recommendation: Barbequed prawns with creamy lemon sauce garnished with zucchini flowers.
Price: From $15.99 per bottle.
Chrismont Wines 2022 ‘La Zona’ Prosecco
A fun Prosecco that promises a gorgeous flavour profile! Chrismont’s Prosecco is a perfect example of Australian Prosecco from the home of Italian wine in Australia.
• Aroma: Apples, melon, honey, almonds and more(*1,10).
• Palate: Delicate bubbles fill the mouth making this Prosecco a stand out for quality winemaking and value. An incredibly appealing palate!(*1,10).
• Finish: Good finish.
• Food Pairing Recommendation: Freshly shucked oysters (with or without a shallot and vinegar mignonette sauce)(*10).
Price: From $17.99 per bottle.
Chrismont Wines 2022 ‘La Zona’ Pinot Grigio
• Aroma: Pears, nectarines, green apples(*1,11).
• Palate: Fresh and crisp acidity that excites with gorgeous crips pears, nectarines, and green apples lifted with florals(*1,11).
• Finish: Good finish with freshness, flavour persistence, and acidity following through(*1,11).
• Food Pairing Recommendation: Prawn and scallop risotto or a drink alone as a delightful aperitif(*11).
• Price: From $16.99 per bottle.
Chrismont Wines 2017 ‘La Zona’ Barbera
For something a bit different, the La Zona Barbera is a complex and interesting red that is exceptionally easy drinking(*1).
• Aroma: Plum and red cherry fragrance with a pinch of cinnamon spice(*1,12).
• Palate: Medium-bodied with distinctive dark berries, red cherries, spice and mocha(*1,12).
• Finish: Soft, smooth, and fine tannins lead to a highly desirable, long finish(*1,12).
• Food Pairing Recommendation: Rich, saucy tomato dishes akin to eggplant pasta prepared in the Sicilian style(*12).
• Price: From $19.99 per bottle.
Enjoy Every Bite, Every Drop and Every Moment
As they say in Italy, “Buon cibo. Buon vino. Buon amici.” (“Good food. Good wine. Good friends.”)
*1. Summer Hill Wine Shop. La Zona Wines - Chrismont Winery Victoria. YouTube video. 2023.
*2. Chrismont Wines. King Valley. 2023.
*3. Wines of the King Valley. Our Region. 2022.
*4. Chrismont Wines. Restaurant and Larder. 2023.
*5. Puckette, M. Food and Wine Pairing Basics (Start Here!). Wine Folly. 2023.
*6. Food and Wine. 15 Rules for Great Wine and Food Pairings. 2022.
*7. Kendeigh. Grenache. The Grape Grind. N.d.
*8. Chrismont Wines. Chrismont. 2023.
*9. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2022 Chrismont Riesling King Valley. 2023.
*10. Summer Hill Wine Shop. Chrismont La Zona Prosecco King Valley. 2023.
*11. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2022 Chrismont La Zona Pinot Grigio King Valley. 2023.
*12. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2017 Chrismont La Zona Barbera King Valley. 2023.