Torzi Matthews Wine Notes: Frost Dodger Riesling & Shiraz, Mystic Park Shiraz, Vigna Cantina Prosecco & Grillo Francesca Syrah
Today we are looking at a large and diverse range of wines from Torzi Matthews in the Eden Valley.
• Vigna Cantina Prosecco.
• NEW RELEASE 2022 Frost Dodger Riesling <- Our pick for best value Riesling in Australia! Final stocks, be quick!
• 2021 Mystic Park Shiraz.
• 2021 Francesca Grillo Collina Calcarea Syrah.
• 2021 Frost Dodger Shiraz (Single Vineyard).
Torzi Matthews is a partnership between Dominic Torzi and Tracy Matthews. Dominic and Tracy both share a passion for crafting fine wines (and producing juicy, high-quality olives). The duo searched for several years before stumbling across what would become the home of Torzi Matthews wines in the Eden Valley. The vineyard’s locale is well-known for being prone to frost (thus the Frost Dodger range). It produces low-yield, high-quality fruit that converts perfectly into flavoursome wines (exceptional value-for-money)(*1).
“If you are looking for something fun and fresh – and super enjoyable, I definitely recommend these wines!”
– Alex Rogers (Summer Hill Wine Shop)
The Torzi Matthews range is as diverse as the winemaker’s skillset. Bottles start as low as $16.99, which is unbelievable for Eden Valley wines.
Torzi Matthews Vigna Cantina Prosecco Notes
The Vigna Cantina Prosecco from Torzi Matthews is a clean, lively, fresh, and dry example of Prosecco(*1,2).
• Aroma: Lively aromatics of white flowers, lime, and stone fruits(*2).
• Palate: The palate is bright and lively with bursts of melon, limes, and apples. An excellent choice for an aperitif(*2).
• Finish: The finish is the stand-out for us. It is well-rounded, has good weight, persistence, texture, and acidity and finishes fresh and dry(*2).
Buy in any six bottle buy for $19.99
Torzi Matthews 2022 Frost Dodger Riesling Notes
This new release, old vine Riesling can be summed up in one word – sensational. Expect lemons and limes with high acidity while being balanced and in perfect harmony(*1).
“This Riesling is, in my opinion, one of the best value Rieslings Australia has to offer. It is absolutely sensational and quite unique.”
– Alex Rogers (Summer Hill Wine Shop)
• Aroma: White flowers and stone fruits, and lime are sharp on the nose (super refreshing!)(*3,4).
• Palate: Aromatics flow through a textural, weighty, and balanced palate(*3).
• Finish: Good acidity, long, crisp, and dry finish(*3).
Buy in any six bottle buy for $22.00
Time for a Glass of Red? We Agree
Torzi Matthews 2021 Mystic Park Shiraz Notes
Recommended entry-level Shiraz made using family methods that have been passed down from generation to generation(*5). It is light to medium-bodied and fresh with lots of red berry fruits(*1). It is (really) easy drinking and a brilliant offering of Barossa/Eden Valley Shiraz.
• Aroma: Mixed dark fruits, spices, and violets tickle the nose(*5).
• Palate: A touch of spice adds mystery to juicy and bold black cherries and red berries(*5).
• Finish: Juicy dark berries continue through to a perfectly executed smooth finish topped with fine tannins(*5).
Buy in any six bottle buy for $16.99
Torzi Matthews 2021 Francesca Grillo Collina Calcarea Syrah Notes
Poise and wonder – A Mother’s Tribute
This fun style of (preservative-free) wine was made in tribute to Torzi’s mother. It was made in the style that she enjoyed drinking most. The Grillo Francesca is a clever and unique take on Shiraz. If you are looking for a Syrah that you can serve slightly chilled, this wine is positively delightful(*1).
• Aroma: Intense and lively floral and fruit aromas (due to low-yielding crop with dense flavours)(*6).
• Palate: Beautiful mouthfeel with velvety and creamy tannins, dark berries, and chocolate (devilishly seductive)(*6).
• Finish: Pure, soft finish(*6,7).
Buy in any six bottle buy for $32.00
Torzi Matthews 2021 Frost Dodger Shiraz (Single Vineyard) Notes
The 2021 Frost Dodger is the biggest player in all the Torzi Matthews’ Shiraz’s. It is by far the heaviest and has the biggest flavours. This Shiraz reflects a more traditional style. You can count on a considerable concentration of fruit that is full flavoured.
Once again, Torzi Matthews has delivered a grand yet balanced wine. This Shiraz also has great cellaring potential(*1).
• Aroma: Ripe, luscious plums, blackcurrant, and blackberries(*8).
• Palate: Medium-bodied, thick tannins, deep dark fruit flavours, with a sprinkling of spice and a touch of chocolate(*8).
• Finish: Absolutely satisfying! The finish is ripe and long(*8).
Buy in any six bottle buy for $42.00
All the wines mentioned offer incredible value, particularly considering these are Eden Valley wines from experienced vintners(*9). All five wines have been made to be food-friendly or can easily be enjoyed on their own.
To cellar or not to cellar? They are all ready to open now while some (such as the Frost Dodger Shiraz) can be stored for up to 10 years.
Order online and either pick up in store or have your wines delivered to you. Please feel free to drop into the Summer Hill Wine Shop store to browse anytime.
References *1. Summer Hill Wine Shop. Torzi Matthews Frost Dodger Riesling and Shiraz, Mystic Park Shiraz and Prosecco. YouTube video. 2022. *2. Summer Hill Wine Shop. Torzi Matthews Vigna Cantina Prosecco Barossa. 2022. *3. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2022 Torzi Matthews Frost Dodger Riesling Eden Valley. 2022. *4. Boone, V. Top Wine Terms Defined: High-Toned. Wine Enthusiast. 2022. *5. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2021 Torzi Matthews Mystic Park Shiraz Barossa Valley. 2022. *6. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2021 Torzi Matthews Francesca Grillo Collina Calcarea Syrah Barossa. 2022. *7. Torzi Matthews. 2021 Francesca Grillo Collina Calcarea Syrah. 2022. *8. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2021 Torzi Matthews Frost Dodger Shiraz Eden Valley. 2022. *9. Torzi Matthews. About Us. 2022.