2021 Rutherglen Estates Shelley’s Block Marsanne Viognier Roussanne Rutherglen

From: $15.99

2021 Rutherglen Estates Shelley’s Block Marsanne Viognier Roussanne Rutherglen – Rutherglen Estates have named their Shelley’s Block blend after one of the region’s original vigneron families. The Shelley family’s original 1880’s vineyard site today provides all of the grapes for this Viognier Roussanne Marsanne blend.

The Marsanne and the Viognier are harvested in batches, at various levels of ripeness, to maximise the range of varietal flavours and characters. Early-harvested Marsanne delivers citrus and lemon butter notes, while the later picked grapes contribute hints of honeysuckle on the palate. Viognier is a typically rich variety but when picked early displays delicate floral and tropical fruit note and maintains elegance. The Roussanne adds structure and texture to the blend.

Each variety is fermented separately at cool temperatures and 49% was fermented in tank with no oak contact. The remaining 51% was fermented in barrels with wild yeast, which adds complexity to this classic Rhone blend. There was 12% new oak and 25% older oak. The blending of unoaked and oaked wine adds a great balance between fresh intensity and complex toasty notes.

This blend displays the perfect affinity these varieties have for each other. The fruit intensity of the Viognier is well balanced by the Roussanne’s length of flavour and the fresh citrus backbone of the Marsanne. Careful barrel maturation has produced a textural wine, with great freshness, aromatics and length of flavour. While designed to be enjoyed while young and fresh, the characteristics of the varieties allow the development of added texture and palate richness as the wine ages in the bottle.

This blend is a great all rounder that suits most meals, but particularly loves white meat, salads and Asian fare. Try sticky pork, Chinese cabbage and cashew stir-fry, or a classic caesar salad topped with shredded smoked chicken.

Single Price: $19.99
Any Six Bottle Buy: $15.99
Price per case (12 bottles): $191.88

Quantity discounts available