Pinot Gris, Riesling, Grenache Shiraz Mataro (GSM), Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon
The Killerman’s Run collection by Kilikanoon Wines in the scenic Clare Valley, SA, offers vibrant wines with unmistakable varietal and regional definition. Fruits for this range are sourced from premium Clare Valley vineyards, then carefully crafted into mouthwatering blends. Scroll down for a brief look at Kilikanoon Wines’ founding fathers, the importance of terroir in wine grape growing, and of course, our tasting notes for these five wines. Also – all wines featured start at just $16.99 per bottle, making them superb value.
Our Top Picks (Tasting Notes Below) From Kilikanoon Wines’ Killerman’s Run Collection
• 2022 Pinot Gris
• 2022 Riesling
• 2021 GSM
• 2020 Shiraz
• 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon
Kilikanoon Wines’ Founding Fathers
Kilikanoon Wines was founded in 1997 however Kevin Mitchell’s wine grape growing experience and fascination with terroir extends back another forty years with his father Mort Mitchell(*1,2). Kevin grew up alongside Mort tending to the beautiful Kilikanoon vineyards.
Kilikanoon Wines pay homage to every distinct element of terroir, from soil types, breeze, sunshine, and rain to altitude. The vineyards are meticulously nurtured, and blends are treated with the utmost respect to create high-quality vintages year after year.
Why Does Terroir Matter in Wine Grape Growing?
An identical grape can be grown in France or here in Australia, but neither will taste exactly the same. In fact, a Shiraz grape grown in the Clare Valley, SA will also differ from one grown in the Margaret River, WA. The reason is terroir. Grapes naturally develop and ripen in different ways depending on a range of elements(*2,3). These include:
Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run 2022 Pinot Gris, Clare Valley
• Aroma: Fresh fruits including honeydew melon and subtle notes of lime(*5).
• Palate: The palate is treated to an abundance of juicy, tropical fruits(*1,4).
• Finish: Excellent freshness and crispness on the finish(*1,4).
• Price: The 2022 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Pinot Gris is priced from $16.99.
Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run 2022 Riesling, Clare Valley Traditional Clare Valley Riesling
• Aroma: Clarity and concentration reign supreme with apple blossom, grapefruit, and limes(*6).
• Palate: High citrus intensity – notably fresh, juicy limes, zippy acidity, and green apple(*1,6).
• Finish: Exceptionally long finish on this beauty(*1,6).
• Price: The 2022 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Riesling is priced from $16.99.
Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run 2021 Grenache, Shiraz, Mataro (GSM), Clare Valley
• Aroma: Supple dark fruits, spices, dusty oak, savoury meats, and a trace of tar(*7).
• Palate: Medium-bodied, satin-smooth (very easy drinking) with impeccable balance(*1,7).
• Finish: Mataro steps forward on the finish, complementing the Grenache and Shiraz with fine structure(*1,7).
Did you read our blog Our Picks of Australia’s World-Class GSM Wine Blends? Kilikanoon’s 2019 GSM was featured there. The team at Kilikanoon consistently produce impressive GSMs – definitely worth adding to your shopping list!
Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run 2020 Shiraz, Clare Valley
• Aroma: Lifted fresh liquorice and dark cherries are followed by a mellow infusion of smoky oak(*7).
• Palate: Richly flavoured with vibrant red and dark berry fruits, the palate is further enhanced with flavours from the aromatics, but it doesn’t stop there(*1,7). Hints of cedar and chocolate coupled with elegant tannings also shine through(*1,7).
• Finish: A persistent finish that gives plenty of time to enjoy this wine(*1,7).
Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run 2020 Cabernet Sauvignon, Clare Valley
• Aroma: Deep, flavoursome, and sweet combination of blackcurrant, tobacco leaf, dark cassis berry and understated charred French oak(*1,8).
• Palate: Dark fruit intensity with good texture and generous flavours of dark cassis berries and leaves(*1,8). Fine-grained natural tannins, balanced acidity and oak give the wine added depth and support.
• Finish: A confident, lush, long finish(*1,8) that will age exceptionally well.
Kilikanoon Wines in the Clare Valley has a super impressive range of collections, each with its own style and price point. If you are looking to dip your toes into the Clare Valley, there is no better place to start than with the Killerman’s Run collection.
View all Kilikanoon Wines we have in-store and online.
Have a question? Don’t hesitate to get in touch with our friendly team.
*1. Summer Hill Wine Shop. Killerman's Run Wines by Kilikanoon Clare Valley Australia. YouTube video. 2023.
*2. Kilikanoon Wines. Our Story. 2020.
*3. Halliday, James. What is Terroir? 2023.
*4. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2022 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Pinot Gris Clare Valley. 2023.
*5. Kilikanoon Wines. 2022 Killerman's Run Pinot Gris. 2023.
*6. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2022 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Riesling Clare Valley. 2023.
*7. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2021 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Grenache Shiraz Mataro Clare Valley. 2023.
*8. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2020 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Shiraz Clare Valley. 2023.
*9. Summer Hill Wine Shop. 2020 Kilikanoon Killerman’s Run Cabernet Sauvignon Clare Valley. 2023. • Wine Bottle Packaging absolutecolour.com.au